Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The In-between World

Retinitis pigmentosa is an eye disease full of contradictions. I have what is known as tunnel vision. I see through a hole. If I'm standing in conversation with you, I could only see your nose or eye at one time, not both. The further away you are, the more I can see of you, but the less detail.

Through my visual hole, I can see about 20/40. That means I can still read. Although I haven't been able to read printed books in close to a decade. This is the contradiction. I might use a cane to get through a crowd then get to a bar and read the drink menu. This confuses people. It confuses me.

I often feel the pressure to conform to either be sighted or blind. It's easier to not confuse people with the in-between world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment