Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Special Transportation

So my case worker at services for the blind told me I should apply for special transportation services from the city. This would allow me to schedule a van to pick me up and take me places. I'd still have to pay for the rides but it would be well below normal taxi rates.

So I made an appointment. My case worker picked me to take me downtown. She told me that I probably wouldn't get access to special transportation because none of her visually impaired clients ever had (just the totally blind ones).

Half an hour later, I left my meeting with the city approved for special transportation. My case worker asked me how I convinced them. It was easy, I made a Power Point deck. I took pictures of the intersections I had to cross on a normal basis. I took photos of where I'd been hit by cars (3 times in 10 years).  I left my deck with my case worker to use as a template. 

So the visually impaired can get services, you just have to tell your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment