Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Canes and Crazies

 Back in June, I traveled to Chicago and went to Millennium Park. At one point my friend left me on a sidewalk to seek out a restroom. So I stood there with my cane. Literally hundreds of people passed by. Several of them made comments about me. Hey guys, I'm visually impaired, not deaf. Many even pointed at me like I was a zoo animal. Not really a big deal or anything I'm not used to.

Eventually a group of people came up to me. They were dressed alike in matching t-shirts. I could see that much but not the logo. Their leader, a young guy, asked me a very strange question. "What is going on here?" His tome was accusatory.

His question totally caught me off guard. I've had people get into my face before for "faking being blind," and that's what I thought he was saying. My reply back to him was pretty harsh. "None of your business!"

The guy put his hands up and said something like, "No offense. We're just out there looking for people to pray with. Can we pray with you about your eyes?" I don't care what your religion is, that's just rude. I told them to take a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment