Monday, December 7, 2015

College Updates

So, as I've been explaining, I've been offered a scholarship to go back to college but I have to be a full time student and start in January. I have a degree from twenty years ago. This time around I'm disabled due to visual impairment.

That's the background, here's the latest updates. 

I'm booked for 7 credit hours and I need to be in 12. Since the university waived my general education requirements, I only have major classes to book. But most of the classes I need to take are entry level for my major and already full. My adviser appealed and got me into 2 classes but so far the appeals haven't worked on any of the other classes.

The interesting question here is, will the State still pay for me to go even if I'm not full time? Is the State flexible enough to let me go to school without being full time? I doubt it. I suspect they'd pay for me to go to classes that aren't required for my degree. But I have yet to ask them. Giving my adviser a shot of getting me in to a couple of classes.

The State made me apply for financial aid, which I was just awarded. My university has given me the option of 5k in student loans per semester. What's odd about that is that it includes room and board expenses. The school has me listed as an adult/off campus student. Typical bureaucracy, doesn't even know what it already knows.  I'm not accepting, of course. If the choice was debt or no degree, I'd stick with no degree.  

In order to qualify with the disability services on campus, they need a form from my doctor. My doctor's office has said he's working on it but still no paperwork. No one has the same sense of urgency that I have. I want to get my books and get versions I can read from disability services. But I can't.

I'm considering getting some reading glasses made. I won't be able to read super well with them but it will help me in labs were I might not have any other way of viewing information.

I need to book a trip back from school using special transportation to see how that goes and how far they'll take me. Waiting to have a real reason to go to campus first.

No comments:

Post a Comment