Friday, December 4, 2015

The Murkly World

My Long Term Disability insurance company wants me to go back to work. They suggested I do what is considered "under employment" for someone with my resume. I thought this was a transparent plan to make me voluntarily opt out of the policy (due to object misery). The insurance company sent to the State for an evaluation, hoping this would force me to make that decision. As I've documented earlier, the State didn't like the insurance company's plan and suggested I go back to college instead. Which I'm planning on doing.

I recently had a conversation with my "employer" (they don't pay me anymore, their insurance company does) of over a decade. They told me that I'm still employed and that I can be fired for violations of the handbook. I asked them if I'm allowed to seek other employment and they said that I wasn't. I pointed out to them that their insurance company was telling me I had to. My employer had never heard of that before and their first reaction was that I shouldn't seek other employment. They then spent two weeks researching. They came back to tell me that since it's the insurance company who's paying me, I have to do what they want me to.

I post this to show that, once again, there is no set process. My employer had no idea what their insurance company was doing. Private disability insurance is a murky world with now set rules. It's all a negotiation. Usually this works in favor of the insurance company. Those of us with real disabilities have to figure out how to turn the murky world they've built to our advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment