Thursday, December 3, 2015

It's Complicated

Going back to college is a complicated business. It's a massive project. Submitting the application was the easiest part. The State is willing to pay for me to go back to school as long as I'm a full time student (12 hours or more) and I have a decision on financial aid.

Booking 12 hours is harder than I expected. I have a college degree from the university I'm going back to. This means they waived all my general education requirements. That means I don't need to take filler elective classes. Yeah! But in my major, I'm a freshman because I haven't taken any of the prerequisites. The end result is I can't sign up for the majority of classes in my major until I get take the base level courses. And they're all booked for the spring semester!

It's a perfect storm of suck. My long suffering adviser has been helping me petition professors to get into their classes. So far I'm up to 7 credit hours. The State won't give me any money until I can show them a schedule with 12. I want to buy my books and start trying to read them but not until I know I can expense them. I can't read them either. I need help from disability services for that. To work with disability services, I've sent a form to my eye doctor to prove to the college that I should get their services. Until then they won't even meet with me. The request has been sent but no progress.

On the transportation front,  I've worked out a ride to the school. I live outside of the city limits so the city special transportation won't pick me up.  I think the city will bring me home, at least part way. I won't know how far the city will take me until I actually try to book a trip.

On the financial aid front, my request has been submitted and acknowledged but no word. I just need a response. Deny me or accept me, just give me an answer!

There are a lot of moving parts here. A lot to go wrong. But I'm hopeful it will all work out before January.

No comments:

Post a Comment